I saw this on someone else’s blog and thought I would steal it. You take 5 books, and take a line out of each one- the first from the 1st page of the 1st book, then the 5th page of the 2nd book, 15th page of the 3rd book, 20th page of the 4th book, and 25th page of the 5th book. Since I have 5 bookcases I’m going to further complicate it, by having the 1st book come from the 1st shelf of the 1st bookcase, the 2nd from the 2nd shelf of the 2nd bookshelf, and so on.
1. “I loathe nostalgia.” – D.V. by Diana Vreeland. It’s even the first sentence!
2. “They also look like human heads, but my brain has no precedent for human heads on tables or in roasting pans or anywhere other than on top of human bodies, and so I think it has chosen to interpret the sight in a more comforting manner” – Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach
3. “Love makes promises you have to keep.” – The Complete Strangers in Paradise Vol. 3 part 3 by Terry Moore (So many 3’s!)
4. “It says something about school that the first thing our mentors tell us is to cover up tomes of knowledge with recycled paper bags.” – The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler
5. “However, if I turned it down, i was suddenly a big risk and, shortly thereafter, I suspected, a small corpse.” – The Book of Jhereg by Steven Brust
What was the point of that? I don’t know. But it was fun. 🙂